Tuesday 16 October 2012

Cheeky vacances à Paris - day 3 dinner, Philou

I had read about Philou recently on David Lebovitz's blog, and he had raved about what a great neighbourhood resto this was so we decided to pay it a visit on our last night in town. My sense of direction failed me from the metro so it took us a lot longer to arrive than I anticipated. Upon arrival, the resto had not opened yet so we put our names down for a table (in the covered outside section as the inside was already fully booked) and went to a nearby bar for a quick drink.

The food was simple but tasty - maybe not as good as I had built it up to be but equally, I may have not chosen very well from the menu. Service was very good for most of the meal but there was a bit of a long delay for dessert. Again, nice to see another resto pretty packed with customers at the beginning of the week, will need to remember to make a reservation next time even for a Tuesday :)
My starter of mixed salad - nice but could've done with less Parmesan which was a bit overpowering

JD's salad of duck and cep mushrooms 

My main of braised beef cheek with vegetables in jus. Meat was beautifully soft and tender; a dish with quite subtle flavours

JD's main of onglet (hangar steak) with new potatoes and more mushrooms!

My pudding of almond bostock with cream and yoghurt ice cream - nice but wasn't convinced by the ice cream

JD's pudding of Tarte Tatin with Chartreuse ice cream - would've preferred plain old vanilla ice cream with the tarte, to be honest!

No comments: