Monday 15 October 2012

Cheeky vacances à Paris - day 2 lunch, la Compagnie de Bretagne

I first heard of chef Olivier Roellinger through Ulla's blog and her visit to his resto in Cancale, Brittany. The food looked amazing and made me want to visit myself; unfortunately, chef Roellinger decided to hand his 3-Michelin stars back and close the resto for good at the end of 2008. Since then, he has opened a gourmet spice shop in Paris (Epices Roellinger) which I was able to visit last year and also, a crêperie called La Compagnie de Bretagne, serving what my friend Won calls "haute (couture) crêpes" !! :)

Of course, we had to pay a visit and managed to arrive on time for a late lunch. The interior of the resto is elegant and stunningly decorated in simple black and white. Our galettes were nice and well-made but I am not entirely sold on the fillings being deconstructed (I think I prefer the more traditional way of serving where everything is piled in the middle and you get a bit of everything in one bite like in Briezh Cafe). Since we have been eating so much, we did not enough room in our tummies to squeeze in a sweet crêpe - perhaps next time!

The highlight of our meal was observing our neighbour sitting at the table next to us; a well-presented gentleman who we guessed might be a manager/civil servant of some sort. By the time we arrived, he had already enjoyed a 3-course lunch with wine whilst mulling over today's newspaper. After a coffee, he then proceeded to have a power nap (!) at the table before making a few phonecalls and leaving around the same time as us, presumably 
heading back to the office......at around 4pm!!! C'est la vie, n'est ce pas??!! :)
My galette with caramelised onions and sausage - nice but maybe a little too modern for me :)

No comments: