Monday 15 October 2012

Cheeky vacances à Paris - day 2 dinner, Astier

I had recently come across Astier on a blog that I regularly read - after a quick rummage through my own guides, we decided to try our luck and head there for Monday night dinner. Luckily for us, we were dining early and managed to score a table despite having no reservations (we were surprised to see that the resto was doing a roaring trade even on a Monday night, a heartwarming sign and defying the grips of the recession, yay!)

Su Lin had recommended the marinated herring in her post so I decided to try it for myself. It was a lovely touch being given a whole bowl which I could help myself too - however, I was not quick enough with nabbing a few more fillets before someone else was requesting for their herring too!! Nice but a lot of work to fish out all the many bones in the fish :(

JD and I then shared the special of chateaubriand which took a while to arrive but was delicious when it did. The meat was served with lovely roasted new potatoes and a perfect bearnaise - simple but oh so lovely!!

I ended the meal with some nougat glacé - not a looker but yummy all the same. A lovely meal with attentive service. We were made to feel very welcome and really felt that the staff were genuinely concerned that our meal would be perfect. Astier may not be the most creative bistro out there but the combination of solid cooking and brilliant service would make me return if I was in town again :)

No comments: